Church of the Resurrection
Delivery Method: Design Build
Architect: Ellis Construction.
As a landmark building in Wausau, WI, and one with significant architectural importance, there were many design elements that needed to be take into consideration for this project.
The new building was built between the church constructed in 1912 and the rectory constructed in 1949, both of which sit at different elevations. Creating a complimentary façade that ties the two existing buildings and the new building together was quite the undertaking due to the different time periods in which the church and rectory were built.
Creating a bright and airy facility enhancing the social opportunities that will take place in the building was of high importance. Because the center is sitting between two buildings, it was impossible to put in traditional windows thus designing an octagon shaped cupola to meet the need and desire for admitting natural light in the space. The cupola continues the same design scheme that is found throughout the church, further blending the old and new buildings.
Build Wisconsin Award, design-build renovation category, Associated General Contractors of Wisconsin